About the Utility Consumers' Board (UCB)
The OCC has a statutorily created eleven-member Utility Consumers' Board (UCB). In accordance with recent legislation, seven of the members are appointed by the Governor of which at least one member of the seven appointments will be actively engaged in agriculture as a business, and at least two members of the seven appointments will be owners of small business with 100 or fewer employees.
For the Governor's appointments, each of the seven Congressional districts in the state shall be represented, and no more than four Board members can be affiliated with the same political party.
For the four remaining seats, the President of the Senate, Speaker of the House of Representatives, the Minority Leader of the Senate, and the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives shall each appoint one member.
The Responsibilities of the UCB include:
Represent the public interest of Colorado utility users and specifically the interests of residential, agricultural, and small business users by providing general policy guidance and oversight to the OCC and its director:
- General policy guidance re: rate cases, rule-making proceedings, legislative projects, general activities, and priorities of the office;
- Gather data and information and formulate policy positions to advise the OCC in preparing analysis and testimony on legislation;
- Confer with the executive director of the Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA) on the hiring of the OCC director and consulting with DORA’s executive director on the annual performance evaluation of OCC and its director.
- It is the duty of the Attorney General to advise the OCC and the Board on all legal matters and to provide representation in proceedings in which the OCC participates.
The UCB is required by statute to meet six times each year.
- Utility Consumers' Board Members
Appointee of the Governor - Colo. Springs (Expires 7/1/2023)
Appointee of the Speaker of the House - Boulder (Expires 9/1/2023)
Appointee of the President of the Senate - Colo. Springs (Expires 7/1/2023)
Appointee of the Minority Leader of the House - Centennial (Expires 7/1/2024)
Dean Sheldon McCall
Appointee of the Governor - Montrose ( Expires 7/1/2022)
Appointee of the Governor - Northglenn (Expires 7/1/2023
Appointee of the Governor - Lamar (Expires 7/1/2022)
Appointee of the Governor - Highlands Ranch (Expires 7/1/2023)